Water and Sewer Service Lines
Did you know?
As a homeowner you are responsible for the water and sewer service lines buried on your private property. A breakdown to these lines could happen without warning resulting in an unexpected and costly emergency repair. The lifespan of a service line depends on many factors including construction material, soil conditions and use and the location, number and species of nearby trees. While not typically covered by basic homeowners’ insurance, residents are encouraged to check with their provider to confirm if they have existing coverage. Residents may also consider coverage from an external service plan provider.
Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC)
The Town of Bashaw has partnered with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) to offer eligible homeowners optional repair plans to help protect residents against potentially expensive emergency repairs to water service lines or well and sewer/septic lines on their private property.
Participation is optional and voluntary for homeowners. The program is solely managed by SLWC and uses no public funds. Residents will not be solicited in person or by phone. A homeowner who chooses to enroll in this program should do so with the knowledge that Bashaw in no way warrants or is liable for the work or performance of SLWC.
Residents who choose to sign up for a plan have access to these benefits:
- A repair hotline available 24/7, 365 days a year
- Pay $0 for covered repairs up to a benefit amount
- Repairs performed by an insured and licensed plumber
- One-year guarantee on covered repairs
Plans Available in the Town of Bashaw:
- Exterior Water Service Line coverage – $7.00 per month + any applicable taxes
- Exterior Sewer/Septic Line coverage – $9.00 per month + any applicable taxes
For more Information on available plans, please contact SLWC:
- Website slwofc.ca
- Toll-free phone number: 1-844-616-8444
Or to learn more on how this partnership works, please view the video below
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’s)
Who is SLWC?
SLWC is an independent company, separate from your local utility or community. If you would prefer not to receive solicitations from SLWC, please call 1-844-616-8444.
Why did Bashaw partner with SLWC?
There are several benefits the voluntary SLWC program brings to Bashaw and its residents, including:
- Educating residential property owners about their responsibilities for the maintenance, repair and replacement of water service and sewer lines (portion from their homes to the property line) – at no cost to the Town of Bashaw.
- Assuring the Town of Bashaw that all repairs are performed to code and that all appropriate permitting is pulled.
- Reducing expense to property owners and the Town of Bashaw because the service plans encourage residents to report exterior water service and sewer leaks in a timely manner. Timely exterior water service line repairs conserve water and reduce water loss for the Town. Timely sewer line repairs also minimize wastewater pollution, helping the environment.
- Resulting in fewer calls and involvement of the Town of Bashaw personnel regarding infrastructure that is the responsibility of property owners saves overall taxpayers money.