780-372-3911  |     780-372-2335   |     admin@townofbashaw.com

Building and Development Permits and Licences


A development permit is required to construct a new building, alter an existing building, construct an accessory building, demolish an existing building, or change the use of a building or portion of a building within the Town of Bashaw, except where expressly exempted in Part 3, (3.2) of #780-2018 Land Use Bylaw.  A development permit is also required for signs and fences.

Supporting plans and documentation and a recent title must accompany a development permit application.

Anyone can make an application, whether or not they own the property concerned, provided they have a letter of authorization from the current property owner.

Additional permits for buidling, electrical, plumbing, gas, and heating may also be required for most home renovations and constructions. It is always best to contact the Town of Bashaw Development Officer prior to commencing work to make sure that you have your permits in order, or in fact do not need a permit. Should work be done that requires but does not have a valid Building Permit, the Town will place a Stop Work Order on the premises and may levy fines or cause the work to be dismantled at the owner’s expense.

Once approval has been given for your development permit, buildings permits are available through The Inspections Group Ltd.


Upon completion, the original documents of the Development Permit Application and/or Demolition Permit Application must be provided to the Town office along with applicable fees.

Development Permit Application (all types of zoning)

Demolition Permit

Business Development Permit Application

The Inspections Group Inc. Applications

Building Code Information

New requirements came into effect on December 1, 2017 for residential builders in Alberta.  All residential builders in Alberta are required to have a builder licence in order to obtain permits for new homes and to construct new homes. 

Don’t wait! You are encouraged to apply for your full licence now, in advance of the construction season, to avoid delays that could impact your business.

Who Requires a Builder Licence?

If you build residential homes in Alberta, you will need a builder licence. You can apply for either a General Contractor or a Developer Licence. 

General Contractor licence is required for homes where the Alberta Building Code does not require the involvement of a coordinating registered professional. This includes homes that are up to four dwelling units. 

Developer licence is required for homes where the Alberta Building Code requires the involvement of a coordinating registered professional. This includes homes that are five or more dwelling units. 

When Should I Apply?

Don’t wait! You are encouraged to apply for your licence now. Applying now will avoid processing delays that could impact your business.

What if I Have a Provisional Licence? Do I Still Need to Apply?

Your provisional licence is set to expire on May 1st, so you will need to submit an application for a full licence in advance of May 1st to ensure there are no interruptions to your business. If you wait until the last minute, your licence may not be processed by the time your provisional licence expires. This will impact your ability to obtain building permits for new homes and to register new homes.

In order to submit an application for a full licence, you will need to go through all four steps outlined below. 

How Do I Apply?

Step 1: Request access to the New Home Buyer Protection System Builder’s Portal.

Visit Municipal Affairs Builder’s Portal to submit an NHBPS Access Request.

If you already have an account, log in at https://www.maconnect.alberta.ca.

Step 2: Fill out your builder profile.

You will be asked to provide company contact information, contact information for all directors and officers, and copies of driver’s licences or other government-issued photo identification acceptable to the Registrar for directors and officers. Please do not provide your Social Insurance Number or Health Card Number. 

You will need to list all building-related associated organizations. This information must align with the provincial corporate registry (CORES). 

Step 3: Fill out the licence application under the “Applications” tab.

On the Part 1: Company Information tab, use the radio buttons to select the appropriate licence class. 

On the Part 2: Licence Application tab, provide responses to all items on the application questionnaire.

Step 4: Pay for your application.

You can either pay the $600 application fee online, or mail a cheque or money order along with the invoice. Your application will not be processed until payment is received. 

In order to pay online, you will need to make sure your web browser pop-up blocker has been turned off. Please turn off your browser pop-up blocker while you make payment, and then turn it back on once payment has been made. 

For more information about applying, please refer to the user manual

You can also call 1-866-421-6929 or email builderlicensing@gov.ab.ca.

Additional Resources

Firepit Permits

A Permit must be obtained from the Town of Bashaw for all residents wishing to install a backyard fire pit, outdoor fireplaces, and stationary barbecues (including chimineas and portable fire pits) as per the Fire Pit Bylaw.

Additional Information

Risks of Working Without a Permit

There are numerous laws and regulations that relate to construction and renovation work (the building bylaw, zoning regulations, codes for plumbing and electrical systems, and so on). Permits will only be issued for work that is allowed under these regulations. Permits work in conjunction with inspections, which ensure the planned work was completed correctly and safely.

For information specific to the proposed project on your property, call the Development Officer at 780-372-3911. Our staff will help you determine which permits you need and help you navigate through the process so you can speak to your contractor with confidence.

If You Find Out You Need a Permit After the Work Has Started...

The Town understands that homeowners and contractors – in their enthusiasm to get started – sometimes forget to obtain permits or do not realize that permits are required.

If you do not have a required permit for work that has already started, you could face serious and potentially costly consequences, including:

  • A “work without permit” penalty.  This is typically double the original permit fee.
  • A delay while your permit application is processed.  All work must stop during this time.  The original timeline and fees to process an application still apply.
  • Possibly having to undo the work that was done.
  • Possibly having to do more work than you had originally planned and budgeted for, such as adding fire sprinklers or making seismic upgrades.
  • Possible legal and/or financial issues down the road, such as impacts on selling your property or making an insurance claim.

NOTE: As the homeowner, you are responsible for paying these fees or penalties yourself, even if you have hired a contractor who assured you that permits were not required.

Town of Bashaw Development Officer

CAO Theresa Fuller

Email      cao@townofbashaw.com
Phone     780.372.3911
Fax          780.372.2335