The Municipal Government Act ensures all municipalities have Councils whose members are elected in accordance with the Local Authorities Election Act.
The Town of Bashaw consists of a Chief Elected Official and four Councillors. Bashaw is not divided into constituencies or wards, and each member of Council represents the community as a whole.
The Town Office is your direct link to Council, They will endeavor to provide as much assistance and current information as possible to ensure that your issue is brought to Council in a timely and impartial manner.
Council meetings are held the 1st and 3rd Thursdays of every month at 5:00 p.m., in the Council Chambers at the Town Office (unless otherwise posted).
It should be noted that any correspondence to Council becomes part of the Council Meeting thereby becoming public record.
The Public is welcome to attend all regular Council Meetings. You may choose to attend for the entire meeting or be present only when items of interest are being discussed. Council Agenda is posted outside of Council Chambers at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled Council meeting. The Agenda package in it’s entirety is also posted on our Website the Tuesday before the meeting.
Public Hearings provide opportunities for the general public to have input into issues such as Land Use Bylaw amendments, disposal of municipal reserve, road closures, etc. They are held during regular Council Meetings.
Notifications of all public hearings are advertised in the local newspapers. Written submissions or petitions regarding a particular public hearing, must be submitted to the Town Office no later than 3:00 p.m. of the date of the public hearing.
During public hearings, the chairman will invite input from the floor. Again, if several members of a group/delegation are present in the Council Chambers and share a common view on a specific item, please appoint one person to act as a spokesperson for the entire group/delegation.
How to make a presentation to Council
If you or your organization has a concern you need Council to be aware of or would like to make a presentation to Council you are required to submit a written request by way of email, fax or in person to the attention of the Town Manager no later than 4:00 p.m. on the Wednesday of the week prior to the Council meeting. This request shall be legible and contain adequate information to the satisfaction of the Town CAO to enable Council to deal with the matter.
- name, address and telephone number of the person or organization wishing to make the presentation.
- clearly identify the topic being discussed.
- clearly identify the request being made to Council, if applicable and contain any background information to support the request.
- once the request meets the satisfaction of the Town Manager, the person or group will be notified with a time and date to attend a meeting of Council
- the Mayor or presiding officer shall have the authority to set a time limit and number of times that a delegate may speak on the same question or resolution having due regard to the importance of the matter.
- Council shall hear all delegations who have brought their items of business onto the agenda in accordance with Section 2(d) in the order in which they are placed on the agenda or the order may be changed by a majority vote of members present. All rules of Council in this bylaw shall apply to each and every member of the delegation.
Council reserves the right to limit the number of delegations at any one meeting due to time requirements necessary for the matter and the proper conductance of remaining business on the agenda.