General Taxation Information
Municipal taxes cover costs of public services such as: police, fire, ambulance, road maintenance, water and sewer, water and sewer line maintenance, garbage and recycling services, parks and recreational facilities, social services, planning services, municipal administration, and council costs.
A Tax Certificate can be obtained for $30.00. You may request a tax certificate by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by submitting a request in writing by mail or in person.
Alberta Education Property Tax
The Town of Bashaw is responsible for collecting provincial education tax from town property owners on behalf of the provincial government. Alberta Learning relies on property taxes to support education throughout the province.
While the Town of Bashaw is required by legislation to collect school taxes and lodge authority taxes, the municipality has no jurisdiction over setting these tax rates.
For more information on Alberta Education Property tax, click here.
Pay Your Taxes Monthly
The Town of Bashaw offers all taxpayers the opportunity to make monthly payments for taxes if their tax account is paid up to date.
To sign up for the Monthly Tax Incentive Payment Plan (TIPP) please Fill out the Monthly Tax Installment Agreement and submit it to the Town office. Your taxes must be current in order to sign up.
Please contact the Town Office if you are unsure of your monthly payment amount or to clear up any tax arrears.
Taxes can be paid monthly by post-dated cheques (dated to the 15th of each month), pre-authorized debit, online banking, or in person by cash, cheque, or debit.
- Your property tax bill covers the period from January 1 to December 31.
- Assessment appeals must be submitted no later than July 31.
- Even if you choose to appeal your assessment, you are still required to pay your taxes before the deadline to avoid being charged late payment penalties. If the Assessment Review Board alters your assessment, the Town will adjust your tax account.
- Property taxes are due July 31.
- A 12% penalty is added to any unpaid balance on current years levy on August 1 and an additional 12% penalty on the total balance owing on January 1.
- All charges on a tax account become the responsibility of the registered owner of the property.
- Tax bills are mailed to the address recorded at the Land Titles Office; it is the owner’s responsibility to keep the Land Titles record accurate.
- Under the Municipal Government Act, once the notices have been mailed, the bill is considered to have been received within seven days.
- Non-receipt of your property tax notice does not exempt you from penalty due to late payment. If you do not receive your tax notice by June 10, please contact the Town Office at (780) 372-3911 or email email@example.com.
- If you are a participant of the Monthly Tax Incentive Payment Plan (TIPP), you are not required to have taxes paid in full by July 31 unless you so choose to pay in full.
- Payment for taxes may be made by cash, cheque, debit card, bank draft, pre-authorized payment or electronic funds transfer. A post-dated cheque to the tax due date is also acceptable. We DO NOT accept Credit Card payments. Please ensure your payment is postmarked (if mailed) or received at the Town Office (if paying in person or via bank transfer) on or before the due date listed on the front of your Notice (note that bank transfers often take a few days before the funds reach the Town’s bank account). Payments not received at the Town Office or post marked by the due date will be subject to a late payment penalty. Don’t leave your payment to the last minute! If you are mailing your payment, please allow ample time for your payment to be postmarked by Canada Post on or before the due date.
- If you are submitting payment by telephone or internet banking, please ensure to use your six digit “Roll Number” located in the top right hand corner of your tax bill when making payment.
- If you are unable to make it into the Town Office during business hours, there is a Drop Box located on the front steps of the office for your convenience.